In 1875 a group of people inspired by Brandywine Summit Camp Meeting services, which had just ended, continued the revival spirit in a tent on the Thomas W. Johnson property at the corner of Route 202 and Naaman’s Creek Road. A short time later, the tent was replaced by a board chapel.
Land was purchased in 1879 at the church’s present location and the chapel was moved here. The charter was signed in October and the church was officially called Elam Methodist Episcopal Church.
In 1883 a one-room church made of native serpentine stone was built to replace the chapel. In the early 1900s a parsonage was bought near the corner of Route 202 and Smithbridge Road. In 1928 a vestibule was added to the church and a year later, a social hall was built.
In 1939 the Methodist Episcopal Church, North merged with the Methodist Protestant Church and the Methodist Episcopal Church, South to form The Methodist Church. In 1968, The Methodist Church merged with the Evangelical United Brethren Church, becoming our present United Methodist Church.
Due to tremendous growth, a new sanctuary and gallery area were added in 1967. Of special interest in the sanctuary is the large stained glass window named the "Children’s Window." It stretches from floor to ceiling behind the altar and the design of the cross can be seen in the random arrangement of the stained glass. Five years later, the present parsonage was constructed.
Additional space was needed so on Palm Sunday 1985, ground breaking was held for a new addition. On Palm Sunday 1986, a preschool complex, new narthex, chapel, kitchen, and family life center were dedicated.
In September 2001, a major addition and renovation of the church that included an large educational facility, improved office spaces and additional gathering space was completed.
Elam continues to build upon the richness of the past as it grows in numbers and in love and obedience to the will of God.